Virginia
 

Overview

Here is an overview of the places where the Dibrells lived in Virginia.  Manakin Town is located on the left side and the Dibrell land in Buckingham County is located in the west.  Highway 60 is an old Indian trail, also known as the Midlothian Turnpike.  Anthony Dibrell was living with the Benin family in 1740.  They probably moved to Buckingham County along Highway 60.

 

Map - Manakintowne

Here is a map showing the location of Manakin Town (or Manakin), where Anthony Dibrell, Sr was born. Manakin is located west of the City of Richmond, Virginia. The original settlement was located south of the James River.  However, the town of Manakin is currently located north of the James River. This indicates that, at some point, the settlement must have extended both north and south of the James River. The area originally belonged to the Manakin Indians, who were driven off the land prior to 1700. The now-vacant land was given to about 700 French Huguenots who arrived in the last half of the year 1700. They built the Church pictured below and somehow managed to survive until the first harvest. The original population dispersed until, by 1702, there were only about 250 settlers left. The settlement was originally located in Henrico County. In 1728, the settlement became part of the newly formed Goochland County. In 1777, the portion of the settlement south of the James River became part of the newly formed Powhatan County.

 

Map - The Dibrell Plantation in Albemarle and Buckingham County

 

In 1761, Anthony Dibrell purchased 400 acres from Theodorick Webb in Albemarle County, Virginia.  The land is described as:

"four hundred acres be the same more or less situate lying and being in the county of Albemarle on Walton’s fork and bounded as follows (to wit) Beginning at Walton’s corner pine thence north seventy degrees west eighty-five poles to a pine. Thence north sixty-six degrees west ninety poles to pointers, thence north forty-five degrees west eighty-seven poles to two pines, thence west seventy-eight poles to pointers. Thence south two hundred and seventy poles crossing a branch and the creek to pointers, thence north eighty-eight degrees each three hundred and thirty-five poles to pointers in William Walton’s line and on the same north fifteen degrees west one thousand three hundred and twenty-one poles crossing the creek to the beginning"

Here is a map of the Dibrell Estate, which was sent to me by Carolyn Carr. Note, that it is "upside down". The map also shows the estate of Major David Patteson, who married Anthony's daughter Judith.

Left: A satellite photo of the Dibrell land. The property is located on highway 601, north of highway 660.

Right: A topographic map of the same area.  Note the hill under the "Dibrell" that corresponds to the hill in the hand-drawn map.

 
These are close up satellite pictures of the Dibrell land - with and without labels.
 
The picture to the left shows the location of the Dibrell land in relationship to the Mulberry Grove Baptist Church.  The Dibrells were members of that church, which is still standing.

The picture to the right is a slightly closer satellite view of the area.  The Dibrell land is located in the area marked in the rectangle.

The "Slate River" may have gotten its name from the famous "Buckingham Slate" which was (and maybe still is) quarried in Buckingham County. Some of the Dibrells also married Moseleys, who may be related to the founder of the nearby town.

Here is another map of Buckingham County which shows some of the locations of other points of interest:

Key to Map:

 1. Tindall Land
 2. Tindall Land
 3. Tindall, Bransford and Moseley Land (area of)
 4. Ferry Landing at New Canton
 5. Nicholas home
 6. Bremo Bluff
 7. William Woodson land
 8. Ivy Hill
 9. Boiling Springs
10. Claiborne West Plantation
11. Phelps land
12. Randolphe land
13. Chellwe Bolling home
14. Jordan place
15. Claiborne Place
16. Penlan place
17. Wade place
18. John and Anthony Benning land
19. Gold Hill (gold found here)
20. Old Church of Buckingham
21. Gravel Hill
22. Old Buckingham Institute
23. Garrett land
24. "Wilderness", Cabell family
25. Perkins land
26. Eldridge land
27. Roleeton land
28. Cary's Wood
29. Morris Plantation
30. Buckingham Springs
31. Morris Home
32. "Burnt Woods"
33. Cole home
34. Cary-Page Plantations
35. Morris Plantation
36. Peyton Randolph place
37. Edward Willis land
38. Moseley land
39. Jacob & Daniel Woodson land
40. Planterstown
41. New Store
42. Randolph Jefferson land
43. Louis Disrell Jones land
44. Wm. D. Jones land
45. Claiborne West land
46. Sanders land
47. Sanders land
48. Merry Oaks
49. Woodlawn P. E. Church
50. Peter Francisco land
51. Perkins land
52. Piscopa
53. Judge Winston's place
54. Hunting Tower
 

Place Names

Dibrell's Springs, Botetourt County, VA

These Springs were mentioned by several authors during the 1800s. Dibrell's Springs are located in Botetourt County and were given that name by Charles Lee Dibrell, Sr. (1791 - 1865) who purchased them about 1835. The Springs had been previously owned by a German by the name of Dagguer, and were known as Dagguer's Spring. The Springs are located about sixty-five miles from Lynchburg near the James River and is a very beautiful mountain resort area. It is hedged in by peaks on every side with a bold and beautiful sulphur spring gushing from the base of Garden Mountain. One of the famous visitors to the Springs was President Martin Van Buren, who visited the Springs in 1838. Charles Lee Dibrell sold Dibrell Springs in 1842.